Tuesday, May 31, 2016

How It All Started

At my age, I've seen a lot of excercise fads come and go. I remember working out with my sister when she got Jane Fonda's workout cassette  (lol) for Christmas in 1982, and we stretched and sweated to Jane for months. I tried step aerobics, roller blading, yoga, Pilates, globo gyms, running, even my kids' Wii Fit, but I didn't stick with any one for long--too expensive, few results or just so dang boring! Just wasn't feeling them. Then one day last year a couple of my neighbors were looking for a way to lose weight and asked me if I wanted to try CrossFit with them. I'd heard a little about CrossFit, and frankly, wasn't too sure I wanted any part of it. But my kids were almost all out of the house, I had way too much time on my hands, and the pounds were steadily creeping on, so I said sure, why not.  And that's how I found myself--me--a 51 year old woman in a dusty dingy warehouse-turned-gym with a slew of very fit '30 somethings', sweating, grunting and throwing heavy weights around.






A lot of people told me I was crazy, that I'd get hurt, that CrossFit was only for serious athletes, and that most of the coaches had no idea what they were doing; I'm not going to lie--there is some truth to each of those statements, and so to reassure family, friends and mostly myself, I began to google around looking for any information on the CrossFit experience for people in their 50's and older, but I didn't find much. It was hard to find anything. How often does that happen in this day and age? So after a year of doing CrossFit I decided to create this blog to document my experience for other 50 somethings (or older!) who might be wondering if CrossFit is right for them.







2 comments:

  1. You are an inspiration to us 50+ who want to get back in shape, but find all the reasons why we can't. Keep posting and provide us the strength to get off our butts (big butts I might add)! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tim! I appreciate that! I hope you try it out soon--you won't be sorry!

    ReplyDelete