Friday, July 1, 2016

CrossFit Athletic Wear

There is a lot of gear and athletic wear marketed for CrossFitters.  As the sport continues to grow, so does the market for anything Crossfit. There are some pieces that I wouldn't CrossFit without, and I thought I'd share my thoughts on them.

What to wear?

I prefer to wear either capris or leggings when I work out.  Leggings in the winter and capris in the summertime since I live in the south and since most CrossFit boxes are not air conditioned.  As a 53 year old woman it's hard for me to stay cool even in air conditioning, lol, so I look for very lightweight capris made of spandex or lycra. I have these and like them a lot. At first I was worried that they would be too sheer but they are not sheer at all. They are very supportive without being too tight. The length is good and they don't show panty lines too much. They don't ride up either.  My only complaint with them would be that they are a little lower than I like. They sit about an inch under my belly button and I feel like I get a little bit of a muffin top when I wear them. Because of this I usually wear them with tops that aren't clingy. I wash them in the washer, but hang them to dry-They can be dried in the dryer, but I prefer to hang dry so they'll last longer.


Nike Pro Cool Women's Training Capris, Black/White (Medium, 010 Black)

A lot of the women at my box wear spandex shorts to workout in, but I don't like to wear shorts when I CrossFit for several reasons.  We are on the floor a lot on our knees--doing burpees, stretching, planks, and whatever other evils our coach comes up with, and I find that my knees can get very banged up if they aren't covered. As an older woman I just don't think the little spandex shorts are very appropriate to wear--I don't want to look like I'm trying to be 30 again! Another reason I don't like to wear shorts is a little personal, but since this blog is about CrossFitting as an older person I think it's important to point out. I have a little problem with leakage (urine) during high impact excercises--especially double unders:



Leggings and capris do a much better job of camouflaging my problem than shorts do! Black is also my only color choice for this same reason.  Getting old can stink sometimes.
The tops I wear vary with the workout.  The other day I had on a longer flowier tank and it kept getting caught under the rower seat--very annoying--especially since we were rowing for time.  I have some tighter shirts that I wear when we're going to be doing handstands, but when it's really hot I don't like anything clinging to my skin.
The best top I've found for CrossFit is the Nike Balance top.




Nike Womens Balance Tank - Grey - Large

It's not too tight, but not too loose, and it's just the right length.  I can throw it in the dryer and it comes out looking new.  I have a navy one and it's the top I choose whenever it's clean, lol.  I'm planning on getting a couple more soon.  The price is right too.
A lot of the younger set loves lululemon athletic wear--especially the group at my old box.  I have a few pieces that I like, but honestly they are so expensive, and I find myself reaching for other items much more often that I wouldn't recommend their clothing unless you really like being hip!

Most of the people at my box wear shoes specifically designed for CrossFit, but I wear these low profile running shoes (in the dark shadow/pink color):


Mizuno Women's Wave Hitogami 2 Running Shoe, Florida Keys/Turbulence, 9 B US

I like them because they don't have much of a heel--a large heel can throw off your weight lifting as it pushes you forward and you need your weight to be evenly distributed on your feet. I've run in them a lot and they are comfortable. I really like the way they look too. This is my second pair of this shoe and I will probably get another pair when these wear out if Mizuno is still making them.
I can't comment on the CrossFit shoes because I've never even tried any on. I have heard that they are not comfortable for running and most of my box mates change into running shoes when we have to do a lot of running. I'm not convinced I need them and unless my coach specifically recommends that I get some, I probably wont.




Reebok Women's Crossfit Sprint TR Training Shoe, Black/Solar Pink, 8.5 M US

I'll post again soon about the CrossFit gear I like to use.  Happy 4th of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment